Received my kit!

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
mjg

Re: Received my kit!

Post by mjg »

ErikB wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:11 am Mind if I ask who your carrier is going to be? I saw on the website that AT&T and Verizon are not currently providing SIM cards for this. I was going to look into Patriot Mobile, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Mint Mobile’s IMEI checker says they will accept the number printed on the u-blox LARA-R6401 module on the main board, so I ordered a SIM there. They're a T-Mobile MVNO, though, and Tmo says they don't take that IMEI, so we'll see after it arrives today. At least Mint has a seven day window for returns after activation.
Fred from Germany

Post by Fred from Germany »

Hallo,
"Does the SIM card work? The website indicates problems with the SIM card.
many thanks for the answer.
Fred
justine

Post by justine »

Yeahhh the definite inclusion of the hot glue gun was kind of last minute on my part. There's a definite workaround for the OLED display, but the thing with the antenna casing is that it's hard to superglue the edge without the white CA residue getting everywhere from the superglue. I'd like to keep it simple, so now I wonder if I shouldn't include a small quantity of some 2-part epoxy to cover all the cases instead of the super glue.
ErikB

Post by ErikB »

mjg wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:53 pm
ErikB wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:11 am Mind if I ask who your carrier is going to be? I saw on the website that AT&T and Verizon are not currently providing SIM cards for this. I was going to look into Patriot Mobile, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Mint Mobile’s IMEI checker says they will accept the number printed on the u-blox LARA-R6401 module on the main board, so I ordered a SIM there. They're a T-Mobile MVNO, though, and Tmo says they don't take that IMEI, so we'll see after it arrives today. At least Mint has a seven day window for returns after activation.
Thanks for the info!

I hope it works for you.
thecowgoesmoo

Post by thecowgoesmoo »

Spoke too soon, I appear to be missing the directional spring from
Bag B. Going to give the other bags a thrice over in case I missed anything else, but I’m fairly certain that’s all.
rwyeth

Post by rwyeth »

thecowgoesmoo wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:27 am Spoke too soon, I appear to be missing the directional spring from
Bag B. Going to give the other bags a thrice over in case I missed anything else, but I’m fairly certain that’s all.
I also appear to missing the directional spring for the governor.

But, I am excited to say that I have made it far enough into assembly to need the directional spring. I had a bit of an issue getting the dial assembly to fit onto the motherboard because I had, foolishly, glued the dial hub to the dial shaft. I had assumed that the cardstock I used would be thick enough when putting on the dial hub. But, when I went to put the dial assembly on the motherboard, the going barrel didn't have enough clearance. Fortunately, I was able to go in and dremel the glue off and get the dial hub to move on the shaft. At this point, I am a little confused/concerned about what is going to hold the going barrel at the right distance from the mother board...just friction between the dial hub and shaft? But, I guess I will see.
Dan W

Post by Dan W »

I've been sitting on mine for a week, as I needed to get my work bench cleaned off.

Aside from some glue mishaps, it's gone quite well. I've gotten to the governor stage but either I didn't get the PTFE filament or I lost it. If anyone knows the diameter of the filament, it'd help me find a suitable replacement.
bertram

Post by bertram »

Hello,

received my kit on Saturday. This probably makes me the first one outside of U.S. (Germany). I will be on a lot of business trips the next weeks, but will nevertheless try to put together the kit. Will be interesting to see whether it works with German networks...

P.S.: got one silver and one gold bell. Is this ok?

Thanks Justine for the hard work!
justine

Post by justine »

Hi Bertram,

Yes, I sent you two because I didn't have your preference on file for some reason and didn't want to delay sending.

Directional springs:

I'll have to chastise my mother for inconsistent bagging! Will send those ASAP.
justine

Post by justine »

rwyeth wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:15 am At this point, I am a little confused/concerned about what is going to hold the going barrel at the right distance from the mother board...just friction between the dial hub and shaft? But, I guess I will see.
I did originally have a gluing step for the Dial Hub to the Shaft, but there's quite a bit of friction there and I convinced myself it wasn't necessary. The Going Barrel itself gets pushed although way to the end of the keyway, so there is a hard stop for that. Also, the clearance between the gear on the Going Barrel and the Motherboard IS very small. It might not appear to have any clearance at all but will turn freely when correct.

ALSO for future posts: Can folks make new posts at this point for the various issues so we can separate the conversations?