Received my kit!

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
mjg

Received my kit!

Post by mjg »

This week Justine shipped the first eleven phones… and I’m one of the lucky recipients! Anyone else?

The kit arrived well-packed with a nice two-page “thank you” letter containing information on where to find the assembly manual, which Justine expects to be “polished enough for use” by Saturday, April 22. I’ll wait to see that before I start putting the pieces together—I’m one of those people that tries to follow directions on completely new things.

Speaking of the pieces, once unbundled from the packing materials I found the non-PCB parts to be nicely organized in a set of small plastic zip-lock bags labeled A through E, along with a smaller bag labeled “hardware” (screws, washers, etc.) and another holding the ringer bell. Justine thoughtfully included a tube of super glue in bag C, and the electronic parts (including battery and a microSD card) were in bag D.

Also included were three static shield bags containing the PCB components.

My only issue so far with the kit I received is that it doesn’t match my pre-order in body color or ringer bell type. I had asked for a seafoam green (then called “avocado teal”) shell and a gold-finished bell, but instead received a black shell and silver bell. Those choices were even listed on the packing slip included with the kit. I noted the discrepancy in my thank-you email to Justine but have yet to hear back. I’m not heartbroken, but I was looking forward to a bit more retro-looking of a unit.
ErikB

Re: Received my kit!

Post by ErikB »

Congratulations!

Mind if I ask who your carrier is going to be? I saw on the website that AT&T and Verizon are not currently providing SIM cards for this. I was going to look into Patriot Mobile, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks!

Erik
justine

Post by justine »

Hi mjg,

I'll send you the right color on Monday! I do have you noted for Avocado-Teal with the Gold Bell, so I suspect someone who wanted black got your color. Clearly still lots of process improvement opportunities.

So glad the kit otherwise seems satisfactory, though. Also FWIW I decided to relabel the hardware bag as bag "F".

I'm working on the assembly guide right now. If you emailed me I didn't see it yet btw.

~Justine
rwyeth

Post by rwyeth »

I also received my kit! I agree that it was packaged well; and, I might note that I received the color as ordered (avocado teal with a silver bell).

This evening, I began a bit of the assembly. So far, it is going well; I only had one minor mishap with the super glue. Be careful with the super glue; the orifice in the nozzle is large compared to the size of drops you may want.
justine

Post by justine »

Is it big? Okay, maybe so. You're probably trying to be neater than I usually am.

I know I promised to have the assembly instructions done yesterday but, as usual, I'm behind. Made some more progress on it today though and will get more done tomorrow.
rwyeth

Post by rwyeth »

Justine,

The super glue nozzle hole is of an average size. I could just see it being very easy to get it on the inner race of the bearing if one is not used to the consistency of super glue.

Also, I sent you an email about the location of the M2 nylon washers when attaching the bell arm assembly to the daughterboard. I question whether there is a discrepancy between the diagram at that step and the exploded view at the bottom of the page.

Take your time with the instructions. I probably won't get around to doing a little more until tomorrow night.

Thanks again!
justine

Post by justine »

I saw the email and haven't replied yet, but you're right, the drawing's wrong. Thank you so much for catching that.

Btw I actually got rid of the lock nut on the next iteration of the Daughterboard design... it'll have a soldered-on nut like elsewhere (not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place). Also eliminated the Short Spacer.
justine

Post by justine »

I saw the email and haven't replied yet, but you're right, the drawing's wrong. Thank you so much for catching that. I noted it in the instructions but haven't corrected the drawing yet.

Btw I actually got rid of the lock nut on the next iteration of the Daughterboard design... it'll have a soldered-on nut like elsewhere (not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place). Also eliminated the Short Spacer.
thecowgoesmoo

Post by thecowgoesmoo »

I guess that makes me #3! This will be interesting, as I only have about half of the suggested tools :D Reading ahead it seems that the hot glue gun is not optional, so that’s added to the shopping list. Speaking of which, any recommendations for 2-part epoxy? Preferably available in a small quantity, since I don’t have a ton of uses for it.

Contents appear to be mostly in order, though it looks like I have two bells: one silver and one gold.
mjg

Post by mjg »

justine wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:51 pm I'll send you the right color on Monday! I do have you noted for Avocado-Teal with the Gold Bell, so I suspect someone who wanted black got your color. Clearly still lots of process improvement opportunities.
Got the replacement shell and bell yesterday, thanks!