Received my kit!

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
Navalynt

Re: Received my kit!

Post by Navalynt »

Hopefully the attached image is sufficient quality, the forum restricts attachments to 256k so I had to reduce it. I got a good start on my kit, but I had something like 6hours and multiple tries to get the dialer together. Lots of problems with trying to get the spring wound up. When I finally got it all together, I noticed that it wasn't lining up properly. Closer inspection showed that that the metal stopper thingy was actually "chewing" away at the plastic every time it was dialed. Did I maybe over-wind the spring? But it might be prudent to put a small metal clip on the edge of the plastic to avoid this problem.
Attachments
Dialer_Problem.jpg
Dialer_Problem.jpg (119.92 KiB) Viewed 9064 times
Dan W

Post by Dan W »

Navalynt wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:29 pm Hopefully the attached image is sufficient quality, the forum restricts attachments to 256k so I had to reduce it. I got a good start on my kit, but I had something like 6hours and multiple tries to get the dialer together. Lots of problems with trying to get the spring wound up. When I finally got it all together, I noticed that it wasn't lining up properly. Closer inspection showed that that the metal stopper thingy was actually "chewing" away at the plastic every time it was dialed. Did I maybe over-wind the spring? But it might be prudent to put a small metal clip on the edge of the plastic to avoid this problem.
From a builder to builder perspective, I don't believe that part is intended to take the brunt of the spring without the rest of the dialing assembly installed.
justine

Post by justine »

Hi Navalynt,

Not sure if you sent me an email directly or not... if it wasn't you someone else had the same problem so there must be an important misunderstanding about the assembly process.

Basically, I don't know how this could happen if it's assembled right, so I'm going to go ahead and send you replacement parts so you can try again. Can you DM or email me with your name?

~Justine
Navalynt

Post by Navalynt »

Yup, that was me by email! With the replacement parts it went together just fine. I'm guessing that, with as many times as I had to re-assemble the dialer and work on that spring, it must have just been an unusual amount of wear and tear.