initial thoughts (and some praise)

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
uinerd

initial thoughts (and some praise)

Post by uinerd »

The praise: You may have a sleeper hit on your hands. I must have this phone and look forward to building it.

Initial impressions:
  • I prefer to keep cellular phone antennas away from my head. The articulating antenna helps a bit. Have you considered a speaker or a headphone jack?
  • I also wanted a replaceable battery, but the "actual power switch" is probably more to the point. Nice touch.

I can't wait to see your retro mp3 music player.

THANK YOU!!!
rkosten

Re: initial thoughts (and some praise)

Post by rkosten »

I just absolutely *love* the Retro-futurism vibe. It's very 80's Cyberpunk :ugeek:
justine

Post by justine »

Thank you both so much.

It has a headphone jack, but I haven't been advertising it yet due to a bug which I'm racing to fix. Also, it was supposed to have speakerphone but the story with that is the same as with the headphone jack.

The battery *can* be replaced, it's just not a snap-in situation.
Bernd

Post by Bernd »

Hi,
I really just can't wait to give this excellent piece of engineering to my wife. It would be very nice if I could do so for Christmas but if the global shortage takes its tribute its definitely worth waiting for :-)
All the best for this and your other endeavors.

Kind regards
Bernd
JJWatMYSELF

Post by JJWatMYSELF »

This article showed up on my Google feed today: https://hackaday.com/2022/09/10/the-ope ... ars-later/

Looks so amazing!

Reactions:
  • I want one!
  • On your YouTube demo video, is the striker deadening the bell vibration? Would the bell ringer benefit from being gaped (like a spark plug). I repaired a Philips Sonicare toothbrush a couple months ago and this was the solution, along with thread-locker glue for the screw.

Wish list:
  • Use as a Bluetooth headset from my phone. Then it can be used without a SIM card.
  • With SIM card use for tethering (USB to Ethernet) hot-spot
At minimum, I am looking forward to staying up to date with all your expeeriments! :idea:
gpschnyder

Post by gpschnyder »

First of all I really love the Idea. It's very 80ies Cyberpunk, but in a lovely modern way.

Also love the Execution of the Design. The RUS looks like a perfect Hybrid of old 80ies Rotary Phone and Retro-Modern.

And I really get the Idea of it being an unSmart Phone. I'd love to switch my SmartPhone to something like that, as I'm alway carrying a Tablet araound anyhow that does all the same things as my Phone. Bunt I need the Phone to connect to the Internet, and the obvious taking phone calls. I am looking for something UnSmart for ages, but something that also can be used as a Hotspot for a Tablet.

Is there a Way to use the RUS this way? Would be no Problem to add a Wireless Modem to the USB, as the Hotspot mode would only be used stationary anyhow.It's just a Question if the Hardware it has now would be capable of doing this. The Settings for the Hotspot could be in a text file too, and a Button Combo could turn the Hotspot on and off. The biggest Question is if the Hardware thar the Kit is made of would be capable of doing that.

It's imho a Feature that a lot of people could use. Connect your Laptop or Tablet and use that for all the smart stuff, but not be bothered with that on your actual phone.

Anyhow, Love the Idea,
George
jean-luc

Post by jean-luc »

hi everybody!
I follow this project very carefully and am fascinated by this great idea.
In recent times, most of us are using the latest generation smartphones and cannot pull the plug from all this technology. Maybe we don't need all this .... just have simple things to use.
So if you can, don't introduce too much technology into this wonderful project. I don't want to be presumptuous about this good project, but I think that some things can be done over time:
- implement the writing of text messages, studying a way to use the spinning disk. Maybe the good old T9.
- equip with a LoRa chip for radio transmissions. So as to take advantage of both voice and text. Who knows in the future your idea will be very popular with people. Perhaps this protocol with its diffusion will be improved and be more powerful and reliable, in terms of performance.
- the thing I love in retro fashion and it reminds me a lot of the 80s and 90s, are the fantastic LEDs.
Have you ever thought of moving the status LED and integrating it into the receiving antenna. Or insert circular LEDs under the rotary disk. When someone dials the number they start to light up, or to indicate a call or message notification. There are many possibilities in their use.
- there are many ideas that can be good, the important thing is to listen and have patience even if they may be nonsense or stupid things.
Sorry for my English, I hope I have not offended anyone. I felt the need to write even though I don't speak English. Congratulations to Justine for her project.