Wondering about area code+7 local dialing support in North America

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
WolvenSpectre

Wondering about area code+7 local dialing support in North America

Post by WolvenSpectre »

I was wondering how the phone handles how some areas like the one I live in has Area Code and the 7 digit phone number to call locally.

For example here in the Province of Saskatchewan we had a single area code until several years back, so we just dialed 7 digit numbers. Hell when I was a kid I am old enough that you could dial the last 5 digits to call locally which changed in my early teens. Now they saturated the single Area Code and decided to have 2 Area Codes for the province. Roughly the West got a new Area Code to start and that freed up numbers for the East, but because there is not hard and fast demarcation line, they have all local numbers dial the area code so they can have areas where some people are on both area codes but still calling between them is local.

So I guess the short of it is does the long distance setting allow for no regional digit (1 in North America) when dialing out? If not how hard would it be to code support in either local or long distance settings.

PS
Also makes me wonder now that I think of it, does the contacts support Area+7 local numbers?
justine

Re: Wondering about area code+7 local dialing support in North America

Post by justine »

Short answer: It will take any number of digits that you dial, so handling it is just a matter of dialing the appropriate number for your area.

Better answer:
In my region (NY metro area), it's also area code + 7, and on the assumption that this is more common now than not, the phone has both a "local" and "nonlocal" mode, selected by a switch on the side. When in the local mode the phone automatically prepends your area code (that you put on the SD card) before placing the call, so from your perspective you can just keep dialing 7 digits for local numbers.

Also, I would expect the contacts list to be used for most calls, rather than dialing all numbers manually.

~Justine