August 10, 2024 Blog post - questions

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
Spazmod!um

August 10, 2024 Blog post - questions

Post by Spazmod!um »

If we maintain our current rate of income (and refund requests), I don’t think we’ll be able to get past the 400th Rotary Un-Smartphone pre-order.
Question - My original order was placed and paid on 1/17/2021 and on 4/19/2023 I opted for Option B, a fully assembled RUSP. My question is, are the fully assembled Option B orders considered a part of the 400 pre-orders that you have supplies for?

I think technically I was in the first 120 (or lower) of the very very first pre-orders, but as the FCC regulatory approval process may not be completed before you use up the existing supplies on hand, I am concerned that I may not receive a pre-assembled RUSP. :(
PatientPatient

Re: August 10, 2024 Blog post - questions

Post by PatientPatient »

My friend and I were also some of the earliest purchasers, having purchased in 2022 - our phones were due April 19th to June 14, 2023, one year ago and we ended up being patient, we decided to wait as consolation for them to be fully assembled (Option B).

I just sent an email titled, "Two Early Purchasers - Our Phones Were Scheduled Due Last Year"

Really hoping on getting some type of message back to figure out if my friend and I despite being early purchasers, are going to be under the 400 mark or if we should request a refund totaling to $804 dollars. We obviously would prefer the phone over the refund, especially with what Justine's dealing with...

I'll probably follow up on this forum soon, and resend an email if I don't hear anything back within a week or two
imyxh
Site Admin

Post by imyxh »

Frankly option B is in a bad spot right now because we literally just don't have the labor power to be assembling phones, and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. We're already doing production, QA, customer service, etc. slow enough as it is.

The parts issue is something we can crawl our way out of by scrambling for bits of extra revenue. But the labor issue is not.

So yeah, unless someone wants to volunteer to come assemble phones for free, I expect that we'll only be able to ship DIY kits for the next year at least....

As such I'd recommend option B customers to switch to option A if possible, or request a refund otherwise :(

We're in a tight situation because if everyone in option B requests a refund right now, that would completely suck us dry (due to having spent money on fixed costs) and probably we would have to fold the company. However, if we keep refund requests at bay, it's my hope that we can scrape through and fill all the orders. So now all the customers are put in a prisoner's dilemma with refunds.

Such is the cost of overpromising....
imyxh
Site Admin

Post by imyxh »

Also, the FCC approval process is actually moot as far as we know. In our testing so far the phones have worked on US networks.

See viewtopic.php?p=308#p308
herbert44

Post by herbert44 »

According to the blog post, pre-orders are closed since it is open-ended with no ETA and they will only be selling in-stock phones moving forward. I assume there is currently 0 stock? Where is the "store link" and how can I check stock? It looks like you can still buy phones from the https://www.skysedge.com/telecom/RUSP/index.html site currently, does that mean there is stock?

Also the link to the SARD is (intentionally?) broken but you can get to it here: https://www.skysedge.com/telecom/SARD/index.html