Wifi or tethered hotspot, technically possible?

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
awsfeddie

Wifi or tethered hotspot, technically possible?

Post by awsfeddie »

Hello hello.

I'm thinking wifi hotspot (or tethered usb-c hotspot) might be a very handy thing. What I mean is: the Rotary Un-Smartphone would share its sim-card's internet data access to other deviced near by, wirelessly or with a cable between the phone and the other device (a laptop computer for example). I ran a forum search and it seems it's been mentioned here before.

But I understand that it's maybe a lot of work too. So instead of wishing it to be true what I'm enquiring is: is it technically possible? You know, if some years later an official (or a custom) firmaware is released with a wifi (or wired) hotspot support, is that a feasible scenario?

All the best, to all of us, thanks!
justine

Re: Wifi or tethered hotspot, technically possible?

Post by justine »

Hi awsfeddie,

It's certainly technically possible with a hardware upgrade, but the current hardware doesn't have a WiFi radio.
awsfeddie

Post by awsfeddie »

justine wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:17 am Hi awsfeddie,
It's certainly technically possible with a hardware upgrade, but the current hardware doesn't have a WiFi radio.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Ok, I see, this is good info.

Best regards, good luck and later!
justine

Post by justine »

Yeahhh a lot of people have emailed me asking for this kind of functionality. Now that basic cell service is problematic in the US I admit to regretting not implementing it in the first place, but for now the priority has to be restoring cell connectivity.