RUSP Hot-Spot

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
Chris

RUSP Hot-Spot

Post by Chris »

Is it possible for RUSP to be a hot-spot?
I use my phone as a hot-spot when I'm out and about and I need to connect.

Does the chip set even support such a thing or would that call for a redesign?

I can't wait to ditch my Samsung, I'm really happy to hear about the great progress being made.

Chris
imyxh
Site Admin

Re: RUSP Hot-Spot

Post by imyxh »

To my knowledge there is no current hardware capability for the RUSP to connect to or create 802.11 (WiFi) networks. The modem we use just doesn't do that. But I like the idea....
Hafting

Post by Hafting »

To be a hot spot, the phone would need wifi. It may be possible by also using a pc:

The phone has an USB connection. The firmware is fully programmable, so it can be programmed to appear as a usb network connection. I assume the modem can provide networking for the arduino processor, and the arduino can route this networking via usb. (A lot of programming will be needed first.) A simpler way might be to expose the modem via usb serial connection. Either way, a pc with suitable software may then access the network via the modem. If a hotspot is needed to connect more devices, the pc can run a hotspot using its own wifi and thus share the modem connection.

I assume such functionality, if possible, may come later. Making calls is the most important.
imyxh
Site Admin

Post by imyxh »

Technically the "01B" version of the LARA actually supports Ethernet over USB. Right now the USB data lines are exposed over I-PEX (J16) so you could imagine a little mod that exposed those to a separate USB connector somehow. Or just forwarded data from them on the main USB connector.

Unfortunately our stock of LARAs is old enough that it's the 00B version, so Ethernet over USB isn't supported, so like Hafting said there would have to be a bunch of really hacky stuff with the RUSP firmware and messing with your PC's network drivers.