Build Complete

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
Dan W

Build Complete

Post by Dan W »

Despite some setbacks and a few full on fights with glue, I seem to have completed the phone.

Few comments:
1: With the manner of how I assembled my dialing assembly, it is possible to press the main board and the daughter board too tightly together and bind up the dialing mechanism, which I was reminded of once I got both halves of the case in place. I suggest checking the operation before affixing the e-paper as after that the screws to loosen it are hard to access.

2: As far as fights with glue are concerned, a tip for others: have some isopropyl alcohol handy. When used immediately it prevents the super glue from hardening up properly and will allow you to scrape it off more easily. It also breaks the bonds of standard hot glue.

General design/parts comments:

1: The dial cap appears a bit on the thin side, leading the clip points to be rather obvious:

2: My e-paper seems to be mounted just a bit high, leading to some wavyness in it.

3: This is a picture of what it looks like when you try to use the wrong screw to secure something.

4: The side window pops out of place quite easily even after assembly is completed. Not sure if I'm just too heavy handed or what other solution could be come up with.

Overall this has been a lot of fun I'll post again when I get my hands on a SIM to stick in it.
(Sometime this week)

Link to photo page to give the host some traffic.
Last edited by Dan W on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwyeth

Re: Build Complete

Post by rwyeth »

My build is also complete! And, it does some stuff. It powers on, and I put a SIM card in it from US Mobile. As for the SD card, I need to hunt down an adapter to upload the files to it. There do seem to be a couple of issues in my initial testing.

1. It only dials the number 2. No matter what number I try to dial, it dials a two. The white light comes on when I hit the finger stop; but, the blue light does not pulse as the dial returns. I'm not sure where to begin with that.

2. I'm not sure if it is an issue with the ePaper display; but, as you can see in the picture it is an "otary UnSmart Phone."

3. Checking with US Mobile's chat, the phone is not compatible.

That is about all I know so far. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
Attachments
20230627_221310 (1) (1).jpg
20230627_221310 (1) (1).jpg (194.96 KiB) Viewed 13193 times
20230627_214521.jpg
20230627_214521.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 13193 times
Dan W

Post by Dan W »

Mine does the same thing with the missing 'R.'

As far as the picking up only 2 goes, I think the "limit switch" might need to be adjusted so that it engages the cam a bit more and clicks on each rotation.
justine

Post by justine »

The only 2's is VERY odd. I need to look through your post comments more carefully but were you careful about the Cam Gear alignment before assembling the daughterboard?

-As for the missing "R", it turned out I accidentally deleted the lines that write that letter from the splash screen function... it's not a problem with the screen.

-Re. the waviness in the display, I've revised the placement of the foam tape on the display, which seems to eliminate the problem.

-Re. the side window and dial cap, yes I agree. Room for improvement in the future.

I made some other updates to the firmware, and before doing anything else I'd suggest flashing it with the latest, also to see how it affects your issue with the 2s. I documented this process here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... orLRnM/pub
rwyeth

Post by rwyeth »

Justine,

I believe I was careful in the Cam Gear alignment; I do remember that step. But, I guess that is where I will begin if flashing with the new firmware doesn't resolve the issue. Honestly, I'm excited that I got the whole phone together and that it powers on and does something. This sort of project is a bit out of my scope of expertise. Flashing it should be another small adventure; but, it looks like you have very detailed instructions. I'll give that a shot when I have time (probably this weekend).

Thanks again!
justine

Post by justine »

I should add now (amazed I didn't earlier), beautiful builds.

I've made some tweaks to the assembly process and to the way the ePaper is mounted to fix some of the problems in the newest version of the instructions.
joelsef

Post by joelsef »

I also got mine put together...finally! But having the same issue as rwyeth. It only seems to dial 1s or 0s. Sometimes 2s.