Removing parts

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
joelsef

Removing parts

Post by joelsef »

I have to re-wind the Clock Spring, as it came unhooked as I was adjusting the rotary mechanism (almost done!). I think the issue is because I misaligned the Front Bearing Pad and Faceboard way back in the beginning, so the mother and daughter boards are not fitting as snug as needed.

Anyway, is there a good way to get these two super glued parts apart without damaging them? Before I put the Clock Spring back in, I want to make sure alignments are as perfect as possible so I can get that rotary mechanism just right!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-02 134607.png
Screenshot 2023-12-02 134607.png (23.78 KiB) Viewed 9370 times
joelsef

Re: Removing parts

Post by joelsef »

Alright. WD40 worked. So now I think the problem is that the Front Bearing and Faceplate parts are not to spec. They don't fit snugly together--the Front Bearing rides up on one side, and no matter what I do (and how much glue/plastic I shave off), the two parts do not fit together completely as shown in the instructions.

Justine, I assume these are supposed to fit together fully, correct? If so I may have some bad parts. :(
Attachments
IMG_6443(1)-sm.jpg
IMG_6443(1)-sm.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
zero1tango

Re: Removing parts

Post by zero1tango »

I had a similar problem which caused severe misalignment of the dial mechanism downstream. The problem appears to be that the diameter of the hole in the Faceboard may be too small to allow the Front Bearing Pad to seat flush with the Faceboard. The issue can be corrected by wrapping some aluminum oxide paper around your finger and sanding the inside of the Front Bearing Pad hole in the Faceboard to enlarge it slightly. User a dry press fit to test proper seating before applying any glue. You may need to do this several times. It will be a tight press fit but completely flush to the Faceboard all around (see attachments). Also be careful to align the registration nib on the Bearing Pad with the notch in the Faceboard so it is oriented correctly.
good_bearing_pad_alignment.jpg
good_bearing_pad_alignment.jpg (101.08 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
bad_bearing_pad_alignment.jpg
bad_bearing_pad_alignment.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 6798 times