Help near Zero dose not give me a menu

Discuss using and implementing the NearZero motor controller and the RoboWheel hubmotor.
Spot

Help near Zero dose not give me a menu

Post by Spot »

Hello everyone,
i just got my order two hub wheels and a near zero driver board.
So i want to set the I²C adress to 50 on the near zero i know i have to do that in the menu.
So this is what i did:

-PC Windows 10
-selected the jumper pc config
-pluged in the usb in the near zero
-pluged in the usb in the pc
-opend arduino ide
-selected Mega 2560 and opend a serieal port at 9600 baud

note no new com showed up for selecting it always even before pluging in showed com 3 and the same after.
normaly when i plug something in i get a new com port.

and in the serial window i just see nothing blank white.

When I look at the device Manager the near zero shows up as unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark.
It tells me it needs a driver.
In the manual it says that the near zero has the same chip as the mega 2560 other megas work so i asumed i have all the drivers i need.

I tried this with two diffrent pc witch so far always acepted arduinos unos and megas, and i also tried a diffrent usb cable just to be sure.
Did any of you had the same problem or could anyone give me some advice.
Thank you
Last edited by Spot on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

andyinyakima

Re: Help near Zero dose not give me a menu

Post by andyinyakima »

I don't use windows 10 except at work, but I will say that last week we used the "edge browser" to down load an application software
and the machine won't act right. After 3 hours lost trouble shooting we finally reloaded windows.

Might try using a Linux based machine. Raspberry Pi, Jetson Nano.

I don't have a Near Zero yet but will say that I have had some issues with tethered devices.
When it comes to Arduinos I use Uno or Uno clones, I can't seem to get a Leonardo to up load.

Any how wish you best with your device.

Andy

Spot

Post by Spot »

Hy andyinyakima
thanks for your answer i actually only have windows machines, i mostly only work with arduinos,
i will keep your tip in mind, the way i see it the near zero is fo the pc just a com data device so i guess there is some problem with establishing basic connection.

Ps: for other arduino bords see if you can implement the bord library under: tools: in choosing the bord the very top menu then type inn the bord name lenardo or whatever you want mostly they have a bord library set up for you.

slomobile

Post by slomobile »

I had the same issue and worked through it with Justine's help. Near Zero needs to be powered up from the main supply terminals before being plugged into USB. It does its little motor calibration thing, then presents the menu. If you don't plug everything in within a second or 2 of each other, it will display messages right up to the motor calibration, then stop before sending the menu.

It uses the same chip as an Arduino Mega 2560, but it does not have the Arduino bootloader which makes code uploads via USB possible. You can still program via Arduino IDE if you use an ISP programmer, or an Arduino as ISP programmer.

I think the Arduino serial monitor should still work to display the menu as long as you have the correct baud rate selected. I don't remember exactly what the right baud rate is off hand. Maybe 115,200? Definitely not 9600 baud.
If you set the baud rate correctly, even if the battery is not connected, you should get serial messages from Near Zero right up to the point before menu is displayed.
I used the screen command from a Linux terminal, but teraterm, hyperterminal, or putty on Windows should work in a similar way.

Spot

Post by Spot »

THANK YOU !!!!!!!

i havent tried your method just read it but it doese make sense,
in the meantime i worked around the problem and used a rasbarry pi with the arduino software insted of windows.
That worked.
BUT
I dont knwów if i conected power to the near zero on my windows maschine.
also the baudrate i could have sworn i read 9600 in the documentation but i did not test another i should have darn.
and of corse i did not pay any attention to the batrate on the working rasbarry pi i was just glad i couls set the i²C adress.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!